Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeCircle
EchoSense:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 22:07:26
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have EchoSenseagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2782)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Extreme heat grounds rescue helicopters. When is it too hot to fly?
- The Biggest Bombshells From Alec Baldwin's Rust Shooting Trial for Involuntary Manslaughter
- Georgia slave descendants submit signatures to fight zoning changes they say threaten their homes
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Melissa Gorga Weighs in on Real Housewives of New Jersey's Future Amid Recasting Rumors
- Climbers in Malibu find abandoned German Shepherd with zip ties around mouth, neck
- Shrek 5's All-Star Cast and Release Date Revealed
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Real Housewives of New Jersey's Gia Giudice Says This $6.99 Beauty Hack Is a Lifesaver for Travel
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Shannon Beador Breaks Silence on Her Ex John Janssen and Costar Alexis Bellino's Engagement Plans
- Russian playwright, theater director sentenced to prison on terrorism charges
- John Force moved to California rehab center. Celebrates daughter’s birthday with ice cream
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- NYU settles lawsuit filed by 3 Jewish students who complained of pervasive antisemitism
- Support for legal abortion has risen since Supreme Court eliminated protections, AP-NORC poll finds
- US track and field Olympic team announced. See the full roster
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Joe Bonsall, Oak Ridge Boys singer, dies at 76 from ALS complications
Shannon Beador Breaks Silence on Her Ex John Janssen and Costar Alexis Bellino's Engagement Plans
No relief: US cities with lowest air conditioning rates suffer through summer heat
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Walker Zimmerman to headline US men’s soccer team roster at Paris Olympics
Delta and an airline that doesn’t fly yet say they’ll run flights between the US and Saudi Arabia
Some power restored in Houston after Hurricane Beryl, while storm spawns tornadoes as it moves east